Carpooling can also reduce time spent on the road, because carpools can use High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes. When they’re not behind the wheel, carpoolers can read, nap, or chat during their commute, reducing the stress of the drive. Carpooling also helps reduce air pollution, traffic congestion and greenhouse gas emissions.
Registered RideSmart commuters are eligible to participate in the Guaranteed Ride Home (GRH) program, sponsored by the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (COG). For more information click on Guaranteed Ride Home.
- Less stress commuting to and from work
- Financial savings due to sharing commuting costs
- Increases free time for riders
- If an HOV lane is available, trips may take less time
- Reduces air pollution due to emissions
- Reduces the need for parking